Saturday, April 14, 2012

10 Days Later: 4th Update


Hello there beauties!!! (^_^)

                It has been a while since I have given any updates in my quest to improve the health and length of my tresses!!! Ten days to be exact. In addition to improving my mane, I am also trying to become a healthier human being as well. So time had passed quickly as my days have become fuller. But that is a good thing I believe!!! Well, let me see what has happened since the last time I have written here. I have been taking multivitamins by Nature made every day since first purchasing the bottle possibly 2 weeks ago or less. In addition, I have learned of a greater variety of fruits and foods that I can enjoy in my healthy lifestyle transformation.
As you already know, I have been relegating what I consider a superior choice in attempting to only ingesting organic fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I am not able to find an organic item and have to settle for the regular items (like pineapples and watermelons) but for the most part, I can consume majority of the items in organic form. In that list, not only do I still eat organic carrots, spinach, oranges ,bananas  and green apples (I do not like the taste of red apples because they tend to be less sour and less crunchy), but I have also expanded to include organic mangos and kiwi’s. I wonder if you are supposed to eat the skin of the kiwi. It seems easy enough to eat. But, who knows. Anywho, this is what I have been eating in the fruit and veggie department. Soon I am going to start creating recipe’s to make organic Borscht (Russian beetroot soup), organic asparagus and other green veggies.
In terms of the healthy snacks that are not in fruit or veggie form, I have been totally devouring rice cakes, smoked almonds, sunflower seeds and Kind Plus bars. You know those little fruit and nut filled bars that are strategically placed at the registers of every Starbucks across America. Until December, I had no idea they came in other flavors that did not include cranberries, cashews and apricots. Those are two types of fruits that I want no part in mingling and meshing with nuts inside of my mouth!!!  And the smell of cashews turns my stomach. So anyway, I looked at the section in Trader Joes that has nutrition bars, and found one that I liked located not too far from Tiger milk bars (those had been my favorite since high school. I was allergic to power bars and didn’t find that out until I ate one while waiting to participate in a track and field invitational @ Mt. Sac. My eyes straight swelled up and expanded out of my sockets so far that they had stuck to my sunglasses. I never tried that again after that experience!!!). The Kind bar had coconuts, almonds and honey as the main ingredients. Straight deliciocity!!! And the price is so much better at Trader Joes than it is at say Kroger, Dominicks, Pavillions or Gelsons (now that’s just a place to shop if you just want to spend twice the money for the same item you can get at Ralphs. Something like $5.00 for a cupcake and like $45.00 for a bag of potato chips… you better get the shyt outta here with that madness you snooty bastards) Moving right along …after almost satiating of the Coconut combination that I had been eating solely for close to 4 months , I searched once more to see if there was anything else “Kind” could kindly offer me. And sure enough… I found their Almond, walnut, peanut and macadamia nut protein bar. Superb!!! So that is a regular staple now. Just a couple of days ago while perusing the health bar section I encountered oatmeal squares by corazonas. The bars were on sale, and it has been a while since I have had granola or oatmeal, so I picked up 2 of the Banana Walnut bars. I couldn’t have made a bigger mistake. I must have eaten those damn bars so fast I felt depressed that I hadn’t thought far enough in advance to snatch at least 10 while they were on sale to feast on whenever I saw fit. I am a creature with finicky taste buds and like to keep them pleased with foods that keep them that way, so I guess I was being cautious. But, I might have to try some of the other flavors for good measure.  
Now… I know some of you are thinking… “How can she just live off of those things without missing sweets and everyday treats and drinks???” Who said I stopped indulging in those??? I am on my quest to becoming a healthier human being, but I certainly haven’t made it yet. Some of my greatest vices now seem to be cookies, cakes and donuts and even a few drinks that I should never imbibe in. I remember a time for years where I wouldn’t even buy a candy bar except for rare occasions. Something like once every 6 to 8 months or something. I guess that really hasn’t changed all that much, but I have been enjoying chocolate chip and walnut cookies more frequently. I used to only eat them on the rare visits I made to Diddy Reese, and even then it was only one double chocolate chip with nuts because my main interest was in the Hawaiian shave ice with vanilla ice cream flavored with cherry and passion fruit syrup. Mmmmm, I would totally smash that right now… Hmmmm, that was inappropriate!!!  Next… it appears that I have also rediscovered my liking towards Hostess Fruit Filled pies. In particular, their lemon pies.  I really have to watch myself here. I could easily run through 4 pies a week if I am not in control of myself. I saw that I was trying to head for trouble when a few weeks back, I had been craving said pie, and I could not find one at the grocery store that usually carried them. I mean, they had every flavor except lemon. WTFruitsauce??? And when a shipment finally came in, I must have purchased 5 at one time. I looked at that and said to myself… “Hello, my name is Kare … and although I had not realized it… I am addicted to lemon pies!!!” I have curtailed that pretty well lately.  Here is the other thing. There is a donut shop right around the corner from my house. And being a late owl or what my friends know me by as more of the nocturnal type, come 1 am, I can pick up a piping hot cinnamon bun, chocolate on chocolate cake donut or a simple glaze twist, and straight KILL IT!!! BUT, naturally I do not want to eat just one. I think my body however has a better understanding about what it is I can actually eat opposed to what my mind wants to think I can. I caught myself purchasing 2 glazed twists at 3am, demolished one of them in under a minute, but the other just sort of cooled off and lingered around in my carry bag until I had finally decided to throw it away the following day.
As if that is not bad enough, I have re-discovered the joys of Starbucks Vanilla Frappuccino. *Sigh* . Now I am not a coffee drinker in the normal sense of the word, BUT… some years ago I started drinking the little glass jars of the stuff in college until I found out about their chai cream vanilla frapp that didn’t have any coffee in it at all. That in addition to their wheat a nut bagels with butter extra well toasted had been my snack of choice. In the past 2 weeks I have had three 13.7 oz vanilla frapps. Since my re-discovery. I’m hopeful I’ll get tired of this drink as well. One drink that I have not tired of since I discovered it a couple of years ago is Sobe’s vita boom cranberry grapefruit flavored beverage. Why does this seem bad??? Mainly because this fruit flavored elixir has L – carnitine and Vitamin c but… it has no juice!!! How do you have a fruit beverage without having legitimate fruit juice in it??? But even still, I can’t stop drinking it!!! It’s like the Krispy Kream crack rock of beverages to me. Mmmmm Krispy Kream. You know they have a big one out there in Sydney Australia. Kinda tripped me out when I saw it. LOL. ADHD is kicking in full time for me right now, so I had better move on. LOL

 Let’s see. I’ve pretty much covered all of the healthy and unhealthy things I have been subjecting my body to in the last few days (and some of the things that I had not been telling you I have been doing for some months prior). It’s time to move onto the hair portion. First, I am glad to be able to state that I have not used any heat related tools in my hair or subjected it to cruel or unusual punishment by dousing it in chemicals and other damaging substances. The first time I plaited my hair in the mini twist style, it took me forever to take them down…BUT, they looked really cool!!! Sort of like miniature locks. I think it took me something like 7 hours to put them in in the first place and maybe an hour to remove them. I did them again in larger sections Tuesday night, but it still took me 5 hours to put them in. It is a bit of improvement in time, but I guess that will happen the better I get at styling my hair in that manner. I discovered however that my scalp is ultra dry and may have some additional issues. It seems like I have to do an ACV treatment every week (right before I wash my hair). I mean my scalp is really doing other things. As a matter of fact, my scalp was actually hurting to the point where if I touched it, I suffered from sharp pains in that area. I had re-wet my hair (including my scalp) set some hair  conditioner on it (with sage and wild mint), and oiled it with coconut oil to see if that would diminish the pain I was feeling in my scalp, but that barely did anything. The only time I felt any real relief was when I did an ACV treatment, felt my scalp tingling with the relief of quelling the cracked desert surface and soothing the parched nerves. Scabs had formed and everything as if there were small lacerations on my scalp. I wonder what that means. I have read different information that talks about scalp infections from putting wet products in one’s hair and putting the hair up in a style where the hair on the scalp doesn’t dry and mildew/ fungus/ infection develops or damage caused from wearing one’s hair too tight and pulling  the scalp in harmful ways , but I have not done either. So I am going to have to do some additional research about that. As soon as I discover anything of use, I will let you all know what I have found.

I had mentioned earlier “ACV treatment” so I would like to take the time to tell you what that is as well as a few other terms. I am also including a few websites from some of the healthy products that I enjoy.

·       Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) – Apple Cider Vinegar or ACV as used in abbreviated form is a liquid substance made from cider or apple must, and has a brownish-yellow color. It often is sold unfiltered and unpasteurized with the mother of vinegar present, as a natural product. Because of its acidity, apple cider vinegar may be very harsh, even burning, to the throat. If taken straight, (as opposed to used in cooking), it can be diluted (e.g., with fruit juice or water) before drinking or used in other manners.

 Mother of Vinegar - Also called Mycoderma aceti  is a substance composed of a form of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria that develops on fermenting alcoholic liquids, which turns alcohol into acetic acid with the help of oxygen from the air. It is added to wine, cider, or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar. Mother of vinegar can also form in store-bought vinegar if there is some non-fermented sugar and/or alcohol contained in the vinegar. This is more common in unpasteurized vinegar. While not appetizing in appearance, mother of vinegar is completely harmless and the surrounding vinegar does not have to be discarded because of it. It can be filtered out using a coffee filter, used to start a bottle of vinegar, or simply left in and ignored.

·         ACV TREATMENT and Uses – An ACV treatment consists of mixing a tonic comprised of ACV and water (and sometimes additional ingredients like baking powder, sage, witch hazel or oils) that will be applied to the scalp in order to cleanse it and remove dandruff, dirt and other impurities. It also acts as an antibiotic to disinfect and remove bacteria that can be caused by not keeping a clean scalp. This treatment can be applied to just the scalp or to the scalp and hair just before washing the hair. It can also be used as a deep cleansing treatment by applying to the scalp or scalp and hair and letting the formula set for 30 minutes under a plastic cap. Some of the types of uses for AVC are listed below:
  •  Rinsing with apple cider vinegar will help balance the pH of your hair and remove the buildup that can result from the use of these styling products and inexpensive shampoos. To make a batch, just add 5 drops of the essential oil to 1 cup (250 ml) of apple cider vinegar. When you are ready to rinse your hair, take 1 tablespoon of this mixture and add it to 1 cup (250 ml) of warm water. You can use any of the following oils that work well with ACV: Lavender, Lemon, Rose, Rosemary, Sage
  • For an extra strength natural hair care product, apple cider vinegar can be infused with herbs such as stinging nettle, southernwood, goosegrass, plantain and burdock root all of which help prevent dandruff on their own. Tea tree oil is another excellent natural anti-dandruff ingredient, which can be added.
  • For bald and thinning areas apply to scalp an hour before shampooing- 2 Tbsp ACV mixed with a tiny pinch cayenne powder. Then before going to bed, mix a royal jelly capsule with one tsp ACV, pat on bald areas and leave overnight.  The following herbs have also been used to prevent hair loss and stimulate hair growth:  Burdock, Catnip, Chamomile, Lavender, Rosemary, Saw Palmetto, Thyme, Yucca
  • By infusing various herbs into the vinegar rinse, you can enhance different hair colors and condition hair at the same time. Here are some recommended herbs to use with apple cider vinegar: 
    • For dark hair:......Parsley, Rosemary, Sage
    • For light hair:.....Chamomile, Flannel Mullein, Marigold
    • For red hair:.......Henna
    • For oily hair:......Lavender, Thyme, Witch Hazel, Yarrow
    • For dry hair:.......Marigold
    • For brittle hair:...Horsetail
  • To make your own herbal hair rinse natural hair care product:
    1. Place 2 tablespoons of the dried herb (or herb mixture) into a muslin bag or tea ball and put in a warmed tea pot.
    2. Pour 1 pint (500 ml) of boiling water over the herbs and infuse for 2 hours.
    3. Allow the liquid to cool then pour it into a quart (1 liter) jar.
    4. Add 1 pint (500 ml) of apple cider vinegar and mix well.
  • To add extra fragrance to the herbal rinse, try adding a few drops of lavender or lemon or rose essential oils.
·         Lacerations- These are deep cuts on the skin.
·         Mildew – A coating of minute fungal hyphae (fungus) growing on plants or damp organic material such as paper.


Websites:

Before I forget, here are a few pictures of my first mini twist set and my twist out!
This is what the back of my head looked like... 7 hours after I put the first twist in!

This is the front view with parts of it twisted down!

This is the side view of my hair twisted out. They look like little locks. I love em!
This is a front view. My eye looks super freaky here!!!


This is the front view of my twist out some 5 days later! I really liked it!
This is sort of a side view. I thought I looked cute in this picture. LOL!

 

Well, that is pretty much all I have to share for the time being. As always , thank you for reading, and I hope to entertain you again soon!!! Until then…

Adeus (^_^)

1 comment:

  1. I know you will reach your goal, I got most of my inspiration to do hair from you...

    ReplyDelete